Vice President of Policy
Reporting to: President
Supporting: ELM and the ELM Action Fund
The Environmental League of Massachusetts (ELM) and the ELM Action Fund (ELM AF) are committed to advocating for policy and building political power in Massachusetts to meet the scale and urgency of our environmental challenges. The Vice President of Policy will be an integral member of a collegial and effective 15-person team. Read our Purpose, Mission, Vision, and Values for ELM and the ELM Action Fund.
We seek a passionate, energetic, and effective senior-level Vice President of Policy to serve as our chief subject-matter expert and leader of our Policy Team. The right candidate has deep and multi-faceted issue expertise, is motivated by the opportunity to grow and manage an effective team, and excited both to shape organizational strategy and to roll up their sleeves and help implement it. The Vice President of Policy will recognize that their work is at the very heart of driving equitable environmental progress and will find meaning, purpose, and energy from this essential role.
The Vice President of Policy will sit on the Leadership Team alongside ELM’s President, Executive Vice President, Vice President of Development, and the ELM Action Fund’s Executive Director. They will be initially supported by three Policy Team staff, as well as and the ELM Advisory Council. The VP will lead our Policy Team and drive its strategy and hiring to enhance the organization’s subject-matter expertise across issue areas in line with ELM’s strategic plan. They will collaborate closely with the ELM Action Fund and ELM Politics Team to support their electoral and lobbying strategies.
- Work in partnership with the Board Policy Committee and staff to craft an ambitious and strategic Policy Agenda to help Massachusetts achieve our carbon neutrality goals, grow our clean energy economy, and ensure a just transition that drives benefits to historically underserved communities.
- Drive integration of ELM Policy Agenda and ELM Action Fund electoral and advocacy strategy to maximize policy gains
- Support the work of the ELM Corporate Council, educating and activating business voices to improve environmental policy and business practice in the Commonwealth
- As guided by the Vice President of Development, support organizational fundraising efforts by participating in donor meetings, building relationships with foundations, educating corporate partners and soliciting sponsorships, and supporting stewardship of current and prospective supporters
Thought Leadership & Relationship-Building
- Lead and grow ELM’s climate and environmental policy subject-matter expertise in areas including (but not limited to) , sustainable transportation, net-zero buildings, and environmental justice
- Provide analysis of emergent issues and opportunities to enhance the power of ELM’s advocacy
- Drive the creation of persuasive content that distills complex policy topics into easily understandable and motivating messages
- Collaborate with the ELM Politics Team to support lobbying strategies around stated priorities
- Support the ELM Action Fund’s development of candidate endorsement questionnaires
- Develop and deliver persuasive briefings to candidates and government officials on key issues
- Maintain and grow ELM’s relationships with partner organizations, including unconventional allies like business associations and labor groups, through work on mutual policy and legislative priorities
- Strengthen the voice, presence, and influence of the ELM brand in public forums and press including serving as a spokesperson for ELM on external panels, events, and media
Leadership & Management
- Foster understanding of policy priorities within ELM staff, Boards of Directors, and ELM’s Advisory Council
- Provide coaching and feedback to direct reports so they can succeed, and deliver
- Build a learning culture in which teams celebrate victories, rigorously evaluate progress, learn from setbacks, and share experiences to help each other succeed
- Manage the work of the Board Policy Committee
- Infectious enthusiasm for ELM’s mission
- Deep subject-matter expertise related to clean energy, sustainable transportation, net-zero buildings, environmental justice, and/or the intersection of environment and public health and their potential to improve the lives of the people of the Commonwealth
- Strong management skills; ability to delegate, mentor, and coach to empower a small but growing Policy Team and Board Policy Committee
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to develop and deliver presentations to engage key stakeholders and, articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately, and concisely
- Characterized as a deep listener with a high level of emotional intelligence
- Confidence necessary to build relationships with senior government officials, business executives, and high-net-worth individuals, and ability to tailor policy briefings to align with their varied interests and motivations
- Collaborative, “all-hands-on deck” orientation around getting work done
- Dedication to integrity, honesty, collaboration, and transparency
- Commitment to integrating racial justice and equity into ELM’s work and to ensuring an inclusive organizational culture
- Understanding of Massachusetts state-level issues and lobbying
- Experience working with elected officials or political candidates
Compensation & Benefits:
$130,000-150,000, depending on experience. ELM provides generous paid time off, health and dental insurance, Health Reimbursement Account, and a 403(b) retirement plan with organizational match.
This full-time role requires occasional morning and evening commitments outside of the standard 9-5 office hours. The position is based in Boston, MA and will require periodic travel to meet key stakeholders within Massachusetts. ELM supports a hybrid work environment.
The Environmental League of Massachusetts (ELM) has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to the following Recruiters.
Kay Linder, Partner
Heather Campbell, Partner